Friday 11 November 2016

How to grow manuka from cuttings v2

Last week's cuttings didn't do so well now did they? Drat!

So I had a bit of a think about what went wrong. And did some research.

And here is what I remembered, and discovered:

Spring cuttings


Spring v Autumn

There is quite a difference in technique in making cuttings in spring and in making cuttings in summer and autumn.

In spring the trees are just starting to grow. The new tips are soft and tender and small.

In summer and autumn the tips are much hardier. The wood is harder, the tips are longer between the leaves (called nodes).

Both times are good, as the tree is still growing, but a different method of making cuttings is required. And last week's experiment was the autumn way. In spring.

So, how did I do it this time round?

Spring Cuttings

The trick with cuttings is to make them about 3-4 nodes long. Now the problem with this is that manuka has tiny leaves. So 3-4 nodes is tiny also. And in spring the growth is REALLY close together.

In the end, I made mine about 3cm (1 inch) long. Still more than 4 nodes, but about the size my fingers could cope with.

tiny spring cuttings of manuka
And guess what? It worked! They all look pretty much the same, a week later, as the top picture when I had just planted them.

Next up, I'll let them grow until they start producing roots, then let you know just when to pot them up, how to tell, and what to do next.

In the meantime, if you want a bit more in depth information, and more pictures check out the full post in Business of Bees.

And don't forget to sign up for your free Step by step guide to growing manuka from seeds.
Spring's a great time of year to grow manuka from seed!

2 comments:

  1. 15/6/22 Hi, Interesting post. Thanks. I'm in the Far North of NZ and would really like to propagate some cuttings from the Manuka and kanuka that we have planted on our property. This is certainly not the best time to take and root cuttings, but I would still like to give it a try so that I might have a few on the way for spring planting. I'm not sure if I should take soft wood terminal cuttings or hardwood cuttings, so would bee (intended :-) grateful for any suggestions that you might have. Cheers, Ranald

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 aug 23. Business of bees link has been stolen and leads to spam

    ReplyDelete